Saturday, February 24, 2007

Some Pictures from my Birthday Weekend

I promised them. So here they are.

I find a strange kind of thrill in going to see odd, out-of-the-way places when on vacation. So you know I couldn't resist the opportunity to see the world's largest Ten Commandments, outside of Murphy, NC. See the truck in the parking lot (bottom left) to get an idea of the scale.



It snowed in Murphy on Sunday morning. It snowed a little on our way back to Asheville, but by the time we got home, the snow was all gone. We still had some on the skylight in our living room, though. Hub and I were snuggled on the couch, just enjoying each other's company, when we noticed a rainbow above us.



It was the result of the sun shining through the snow/ice crystals on the skylight. We took it as a good omen for my 37th year.

A few minutes later, I got a phone call from my half-brother, Rob. Rob and I had never met, not once, not ever, except for a few phone conversations. He asked if he could come to visit, since he had Presidents' Day off. I said, "Sure, come on up."

So about seven hours later, I got to meet my half-brother. What an amazing experience, to finally meet. Here we are.



We look nothing alike, as you can see. (Yes, this is a terrible picture of me, but it's the only one I had of us.) He looks a lot like his mom, and I look a lot like my birthmother, Sherry. But I still kept finding myself looking at his face, trying to see how we might look alike.

After Rob and his girlfriend, Stephanie, headed back to Georgia, Hideaway agreed to a photo shoot. Is she not a paragon of feline perfection?




I had a most wonderful birthday. The most wonderful birthday I've had in a long time. Life is good.

8 comments:

  1. What a nice-looking half brother you have! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gannet Girl: Thank you!

    dulciana: Thanks! Both my half-brothers are nice-looking. One is getting married next month to a girl who fell for him after seeing only his picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thus is the power of our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey: And we must wield that power with the utmost responsibility. We owe it to all of humanity.

    (OK, I can't keep a serious face much longer than this!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding?? You and your half brother look exactly alike!
    Love the ice crystal rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. Hideaway is indeed a furry paragon of feline perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda: I had a feeling you would like the rainbow! And you have excellent judgment when it comes to cats.

    ReplyDelete