Monday, February 12, 2007

The Second Coming, Tenth Time Around

I finished reading Lee Smith's Fair and Tender Ladies a couple of days ago. Wonderful book. I've had it on my book case for years but had never read it. I think the girly title was what kept me away. Well, I am a prejudiced doofus of the worst kind. I should never judge a book by its title. I loved this book. Its main character, Ivy Rowe, became a part of me. If I have time (ha), I'll write a book review later on.

You would think that a bookstore employee would read all of the latest novels. No. Not me. Unless I'm told I have to. I like reading new books occasionally, but I like re-reading old favorites even more. Which is why, despite a stack of newer and/or unread-by-me fiction on my bedside table, I picked up Walker Percy's The Second Coming last night. Why? No clue. I've read this book nine times if I've read it once. I knew I shouldn't read it yet again; there are so many good books out there that I haven't read. Yet I started re-reading The Second Coming, read about 20 pages, and felt like I was having coffee with an old and cherished friend whom I haven't seen in a a couple of years.

Also, Walker Percy is my novel-writing hero. Now that I'm working on a novel of my own, reading Walker is like sitting at the feet of a great master.

So I guess I'll be re-reading.

So ... are you, dear reader, one who prefers to read books you haven't read yet, or do you tend to keep going back to your old favorites? Or something else?

2 comments:

  1. The answer to your question is "Yes." Sorry, I'm hooked on both. Like you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally don't re-read books, I generally don't re-watch movies. I feel like someone's repeating themself to me, like I didn't hear them the first time or something. It's a weird hang up I have.

    :)

    ReplyDelete