Sunday, February 25, 2007

Easy Little Five-Miler

OK. I know I'm back into the running thing when I think to myself, "Well, that was a pleasant little five-miler."

I've been running regularly for several weeks now (after my winter / post-half-marathon / weird-hip-pain break). I've run a few times in sub-freezing temps, in bitingly cold wind, in the beginnings of snow, and I've ran more miles than I could stand on the (yawn) treadmill. My runs kept getting knocked out of the priority list this past week, though, which was very frustrating because the weather has been gorgeous.

So yesterday, I finally ran. I was supposed to meet my sister and brother at 3:00 but called and told them I wouldn't be there until 4:30. I needed to run.

So I ran five miles. I don't know what my pace was, and I didn't care. Probably 10:00 or something like that, since I finished about ten minutes before the hour-long Steve Runner podcast I was listening to.

I felt great afterward, but I also wished I could have run farther. I'm ready (mentally, not physically) to run those slow 15- and 16-milers again. I only did a few of them before, but I can't begin to articulate how much I loved running them.

I don't know if I'll do any races soon, other than the very local ones this spring. I'm still following a kind of training schedule, with speed intervals and such, but mostly because they seem to make it easier and more natural to run faster.

Right now my focus in running is to just enjoy "training," to stay strong, and to build myself up enough to be able to enjoy the meditative aspects of those wonderful long runs again.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you got to run. I wish my hip pain was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now my focus in running is to just enjoy "training," to stay strong, and to build myself up enough to be able to enjoy the meditative aspects of those wonderful long runs again

    --the best reasons to run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Emily, and I'm a 23 yr old runner in MD...I think my pelvis has been twisted since october. In the last 5 months I've been seeing a massage therapist, chiropractor, accupuncturist and orthodist. No one seems to know whats wrong or how to fix it. I'm at the end of the line, I'm so sad- I just want to fix this. Could you please give me the name of your dr that helped you, and what it was that he did to fix your pelvis? I'm outside of Baltimore, but will go anywhere and do anything to fix this. Thank you,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina,

    I'm having trouble getting the stamina to go past 3 miles. I envy you. But I did just get an iPod two days ago. I hope it helps my ability to run. It certainly hasn't helped my checkbook, I've spent $50 in music alone over the course of 3 days.

    ReplyDelete