Sunday, February 4, 2007

A Bookish, Musical Day

It was actually a musical, bookish day. The music came first.

I was accompanying several songs at church this morning, so I got up early to practice a bit. After working on the church stuff, I moved on to the fugue (indeed, what person in their right mind could avoid the call of the C#-major fugue at 7:30 in the morning?). The fugue and I have fallen in love all over again.

Then on to church. I didn't play well. I didn't play particularly badly, but I've definitely played better. Sometimes when I play for church, everything just goes right. Other times I feel like I have spaghetti for fingers. Today was a spaghetti day. Happily, I'm past the point where a less-than-stellar performance mortifies me (else I'd be in a perpetual state of mortification).

After church I ducked into the bathroom and pulled a Clark Kent: one minute I'm in a dress and heels, and the next I'm in old jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers. Headed over to the bookstore and worked for four hours, helping get everything ready for the pre-grand-reopening party tonight. Ah, this glamorous bookstore job ... I dusted, mopped, wiped down chairs, cleaned the toilet, Swiffered, and used a straight edge to get dried paint off the wood floor. Oh, and I took out a lot of garbage. Glamorous, indeed.

But it was worth it. We all worked hard, and when people began showing up at 4:00, the place looked spectacular. I stood there, looking at our wonderfully remodeled bookstore, with its brand-new tea shop and wine bar in the back, and thought, "I have a cool job." I feel like an 80s high-school kid who just got a job at The Limited. Yes, the job is that cool (for a bookish wine-lover like me, anyway). I hope there are no plans in place to fire me.

So now I'm home and I suppose I should be watching the Superbowl, but that darn fugue is calling to me again. Hmm ... Bach or football? Bach or football?

That one's kind of a no-brainer, isn't it. :)

1 comment:

  1. "wine bar in the back"--You've got to be kidding!!!

    can you bring in a (coffee) thermos and filler up?
    --------------
    so which was it: Bach or football?

    ReplyDelete