Here's a list of 50 Things We Know Now--things that were discovered, learned, or otherwise hypothesized in 2006. A few examples, with my comments in parentheses:
2. The part of the brain that regulates reasoning, impulse control and judgment is still under construction during puberty and doesn't shift into autopilot until about age 25. (Why am I not surprised?)
4. The 8-foot-long tooth emerging from the head of the narwhal whale is actually a type of sensor that detects changes in water temperature, pressure and particle gradients. (I have always wondered what it was for ...)
6. Cheese consumption in the United States is expected to grow by 50 percent between now and 2013. (So Americans are getting cheesier than ever, heh heh.)
19. Red wine contains anti-inflammatory chemicals that stave off diseases affecting the gums and bone around the teeth. (I'll drink to that!)
25. Women gain weight when they move in with a boyfriend because their diet deteriorates, but men begin to eat more healthy food when they set up a home with a female partner. (Yes. Experience has proven this out for Hub and me.)
48. Red wines from southwest France and Sardinia boast the highest concentrations of chemical compounds that promote heart health. (I'll drink to that ... again!)
Link found at 2Blowhards.