Blogging from School

Notes from a Day of Substitute "Teaching"

8:15 a.m. One of last year's seniors spoke at chapel. It was great to see him again!

8:45 a.m. Normally, I'm eating breakfast and writing Morning Pages at this time. Not today!

9:00 a.m. First class o' day is my freshmen from last year. They haven't changed a bit--the same kids are still forgetting their books.

9:27 a.m. This is really scary. The English teacher I'm subbing for has my old computer, and all of my passwords are still in the computer. Ack! I thought I had deleted all those cookies! I think I really have this time.

10:40 a.m. Planning Period. Ahh. I'm ready for a break!! It's been good to see everyone again. A couple of my science students from last year came up and gave me a big hug after chapel. I got to talk to the principal for a while, so that was good. One of my lit students from last year got the highest score possible on the writing section of the SAT, and another of my comp students got into The Citadel! I'm so happy for them!

11:22 a.m. I so do not miss this job. I mean, really. It's nice to be back and all, but I'm already missing the bookstore, George, my laptop, and my editing job. Most of all, I miss the blessed solitude that comes with being a writer.

1:00 p.m. Had a nice lunch period. Spent most of the time talking to one of the teachers who is a marathoner.

2:18 a.m. It's over. My brain hurts from all of the chatter. It's been a good day, but I'm ready to go back to my non-teaching life!

Two days later: And I was doing so well. I've felt panicky, irritable, and depressed all weekend. I think some secret part of my psyche is scared that I've started teaching again and is rebelling mightily.

Comments

Popular Posts