Piano Update

It's time to practice. Poor, poor George. It's not that I haven't spent any time with him ... I just haven't spent much quality time with him. I owe my piano friend Maurizio an e-mail, too, one that I started writing several days ago and haven't finished yet. My poor, neglected musical life. Sigh.

Friday afternoon was piano group class, where Deborah's students perform pieces-in-progress for each other. I played the C#-major prelude (the Bach) and Standchen (the Liszt).

The prelude started out well, but it spun out of control. It got faster, and faster, and faster, and faster, until I finally had to pull my hands away and politely say, "OK, I'm going to pick up where I left off, but I'll be playing it about ten times slower." Hold onto the handrails, we're slowing down! When I finished playing, Deborah said to "get a grip." In the nicest way possible. In other words, I should play the prelude ... and the prelude shouldn't play me.

The Liszt sounded pretty good, except that the pedaling still needs work. Deborah said that, if I get the pedaling right, my playing will go from sounding "like a talented amateur" to sounding "world-class." Yippee! So. Lots of pedaling work ahead for this week's practices.

One thing about the Liszt--I actually got to stop worrying about the notes and just feel the music. I've been doing that quite a bit during practice, but never, never in front of people. I broke that barrier with this piece on Friday.

Today I played with the praise band at church. Usually I'm kind of nervous about playing because my hearing is poor and I'm therefore not the world's greatest accompanist. (Yes, you may make all the "deaf church-pianist" jokes you like now.) But today I was running late and didn't get to rehearse with the whole group ... and the music sounded great. Everybody was singing, and loud. I had to turn up the volume of the piano (actually a clavinova) because I couldn't hear myself playing. :)

Tonight's practice: the usual--scales, arps, and that Bach-Liszt of pieces I'm learning (har har).

I really love Bach. Just in case you didn't know.

Comments

Popular Posts