Thursday, November 23, 2006

It's Thanksgiving!

It's Thanksgiving Day!

I am so thankful for so much. I've been given so much. So much bounty. It's overwhelming.

I'm thankful for my dear husband, Dan (yes, he has a real name!). I'm thankful for his love, and for his patience through this difficult year. I'm thankful that he wasn't more seriously hurt a couple of months ago when he got caught between the lawn mower and a heavy piece of furniture. I'm thankful for his light spirit and for the way he embraces life.

I'm thankful for my parents, Mr. Hugh and Mrs. Gwen. They'll be missed at Thanksgiving this year; they were supposed to be here, but weren't able to come after all.

I'm thankful for my brother, Ghent. We haven't seen much of each other in the last 20 or so years, so we've been getting to know each other again for the last year, as he's now living in North Carolina. We still don't see each other often, but he'll be at Thanksgiving dinner today, and I'm thankful for that.

I'm thankful for my sister, Megan (yes, she has a real name, too!), and for her hubby, Stephen, who has brought her so much happiness.

I'm thankful for my birthmom, Sherry, for giving me life and giving me to my family.

I'm thankful for all of my family, and my friends. I'm thankful for Cyril Ann McBride and Steve Cavanaugh, two friends that we lost to cancer this year. And for my Aunt Ruby, who is battling cancer as I write this.

Speaking of aunts, I'm thankful for my Aunt Joyce. I have several aunts, but I'm probably closest to Aunt Joyce. I get to see her at Christmas.

I'm thankful for people who are in the military, for those who have given their lives and for those who are currently in Iraq and other places when they would rather be home with their families.

I must admit that I'm thankful for modern pharmacology and antidepressants. And modern technology and the internet. And my hearing aid. And books. And Bach. And George the Piano. And my church. And my cats. And coffee. And chocolate. And sleep-number beds. And the delicious apple pie that's cooling in my kitchen right now.

I'm thankful for these beautiful western North Carolina mountains. I'm thankful that I'm healthy and can run.

I'm thankful for you, dear readers, and for too many more people and things to name. We have been grieving the loss of loved ones this year, but today I'm focusing on how those we have lost have blessed our lives and made them richer.

May you all soak up the richness and blessings of life today, my friends. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: