Saturday, October 21, 2006

Blogging from the Library

Can you stand yet another random-thoughts post, dear readers?

I promise ... soon I'll post pictures of Hubster's big event from last week, and I'm also planning to take pictures on my walk today. It sure is purty here in western North Carolina. The leaves, they are a-changin'.

Piano: My, but Liszt is sounding good. I still have a few sections to "straighten out," but ... whew. I never dreamed I could make such pretty sounds with my stubby little fingers. I want to make a recording so that you, dear readers, can download and listen. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Running: No Hawg Run 5K today. I'm simply too pooped to make the 2.5-hour trip to Lexington, and too cranky to be a very good BBQ-festival-companion for my birthfam.

I did real speed-work last Wednesday and have had a bit of an ache in my calf (the back-left side of my left calf) ever since. I think it might be the Achilles tendon, but I'm not sure. I'm not in pain ... it's just a slight ache. I ran about three miles yesterday and the calf said something like, "Hey, if you keep pushing me, I'm going to rebel." So I stopped after three miles. I was going to run five miles today (in lieu of the Hawg Run), but I think I'm going to make it a five-mile walk instead, and not try to run again until Monday--provided my slight ache goes away.

Writing: As I wrote earlier, Mrs. Gwen likes my Chapter 2. I want make a few minor revisions (typos and such) before submitting copies to the novel-writing class, but it's more or less ready to go. This morning, I sat down to outline Chapter 3 and ended up with a rough outline (emphasis on rough) of Chapters 3 through 24. The plan is to think more about Chapter 3 on my walk today, and then to start drafting it either tonight or tomorrow after I get home from work.

Work: I've started reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King. It's not out yet. One of the benefits of working part-time at an independent bookstore is that I get to read advance copies from the publishers. :) Also, The Ordinary Adventurer (the book I'm editing) is scheduled to be published in January 2007. I'll give everyone more information on the book and how to order it when the time comes.

Prayer Requests: Our friend Steve, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer several weeks ago, is not doing so well. My friend Theresa is trying to deal with the loss of her husband, who was killed in a car crash October 11. Yesterday we learned that another friend of ours has liver cancer. I'm grateful to be in good health on this beautiful fall day. If you pray, please remember these folks in your prayers.

Food: Tonight's meal is Buttercup-Hominy Stew with cornbread. This is one of my all-time favorite recipes from Cooking Light. Before I made it, I didn't think I liked buttercup squash or hominy ... but the stew is mm, mm good. Highly recommended.

That's all for now. Signing off, and heading for home, where George awaits.

No comments: