Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Running Killed Me Today

I didn't feel like running today. I couldn't imagine that I would run today, but I did. Went to the gym even though it was a nice enough day for outdoor running. I ran about six and a half miles, but it wore me out. I didn't finish with a feeling of energy and accomplishment. I finished with a sense that I'd battered up my poor body.

I am such a doofus. I learned some very important lessons about running and nutrition today.

1. If one has an allergy to dairy products, one should not eat ice cream and/or cheese the night before a 6.5-mile run.

2. A piece of toast for breakfast and a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich for lunch (with a handful of dried apricots for a snack), are not sufficient calories for one who plans to run 6.5 miles at 5:00 in the afternoon.

3. Dried apricots are perhaps not the best snack for one who wishes to run long distances.

4. Drinking coffee all day isn't a good idea, either, even though it may seem necessary for long, focused editing jobs. It really doesn't work for long runs.

I'm one of those people who are said to be "book-smart but not common-sense smart." But even us common-sense dummies manage to learn things, although it often means learning them the hard way. :)

No comments: