First 5K!

Well, I did it. I ran my first 5K race (3.1 miles) today. I knew it would be easy to run a 5K, but I was still nervous; I'd never done anything like this before, and I wasn't sure how hilly the downtown-Asheville course was going to be.

It was a little hilly, but not bad. My goal was to run it in 30.00 minutes, and I finished in 28:17, for a pace of 9.21--not a speed that will win me any awards, but I'm happy with it.

I loved running in this race--it was a foggy 55 degrees (Farenheit), and it just felt good to be in that big throng of runners. Weird because I'm not much of a group-activity person.

Another weird thing--I don't think I've ever been around so many pairs of muscular legs in my life, except maybe at hiker gatherings like Trail Days.

Here I am finishing up the race:



I know, it looks like I'm doing my best pigeon-toed flamingo imitation. I was trying to speed up and wave/pose for the camera at the same time. I'm surprised I didn't fall on my face. The picture is sadly grainy, but we forgot the good camera at home and Hubster had to use his cell phone. (Yay for Hubster, who got up up at 6:00 in the morning to come to this thing with me!)

Comments

Popular Posts