Monday, August 7, 2006

Writing Projects

I went to a retreat this weekend. It was called a "musicians' retreat" for our church, but it was really a choir retreat. Since I'm a musician who is not in the choir and doesn't even work with the choir, I ended up with a lot of time to myself. This is good. I needed quiet time.

I did a lot of writing (journaling) and read through TNP, the novel I started last summer. I wrote 217 pages, and then school started, and that was that. I've been scared to approach it again because I figured it would seem old, dusty, and tired, and that I wouldn't be excited about it anymore. After all, the momentum on it ended a year ago. But I used the retreat weekend to read through the first fifty or so pages of it.

Not bad. Parts are really dorky and need to be re-written or edited out, but those parts connect sections that I think have some promise. I started getting excited about the story. It had been so long, I couldn't remember everything that happened, so it was almost (not quite) like reading something that was new to me.

Do I start working on it again? I think I might. Meanwhile, I have several other ideas that I'd like to pursue, now that I have time. I'm going to do some sketching and re-sketching this morning and decide which idea I want to pursue in earnest--the half-baked TNP, or one of several other ideas I've been thinking about.

Also on the agenda is a tutoring job and the editing job. I didn't work on either this weekend, and I really need to get to work on both!

I also need to e-mail some freelance-writing contacts. I have a job in the works that could be worth quite a chunk of change, so I'm going to pursue it more today.

I also have an almost-completely-baked essay that's just about ready to send out into the big, bad world. I want to do finishing touches on it, then see if I can get someone out there to put it in print (and pay me a few dollars for it!).

At some point, I'm going to practice my several-days-neglected piano and run four miles. (This is why I want to be a full-time freelancer: so I can work my metaphorical butt off on different writing, editing, and teaching projects, but still have time to practice piano and work my literal butt off on the treadmill.)

The Writing Life is beginning. It's exciting, but now I need to quit blogging and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment