Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Geeky Essayist

This morning's work entailed five pages of journaling, a 10-minute rush-write, and two drafts of a 1,000-word essay that grew out of the journaling and the rush-write.

I'm gainfully unemployed, staying at home to write, so essay-writing (creative nonfiction) is, to a great degree, what I'm supposed to be doing. But still ... I can't help but think, "I'm writing an essay and I'm not even in school. I am such a geek."

I'm going to print it out and set it aside for a few hours, then pick it up again this afternoon and work on the third draft. If the third time is the charm, I'll send it off to several local publications and see if any of them will print it and give me money.

If I'm going to be a geeky essayist, I may as well get paid for it, right? :)

No comments: