Thinking About Next Year

I'll meet with folks next week to discuss job-related stuff: teaching evaluation for this year, and plans for next year (this includes the all important salary).

Obviously, I'm not going to report the results of that discussion here. I do hope I'll get a decent raise, though. If I don't, I may have to shop around for other jobs because it's been very difficult to subsist on what I've been making. It's been a "lean year," to say the least. And I'm being paid for a 40-hour workweek, when my typical work hours per week is often in the 90s or even the 100s.

So, we'll see what happens. One thing I do know about is the courseload they plan for me to have next year. I'm not so naive to think that it won't change (after all, I--a first-year English teacher with no other teaching experience--was handed the seventh-grade science class after the school year started). But, since I'm the only English teacher and the only one with the background knowledge to teach these subjects, and the only one who knows how to teach writing, I think my courses will be relatively set in stone. They are, with the ones I'll have already taught in bold:

Fundamentals of Literature (9th grade)
World Literature (10th grade)
American Literature (11th grade)
British Literature (12th grade)
Composition (elective for college-bound juniors and seniors)
Creative Writing (elective)

I actually requested the creative writing class. I know. I'm a sick, sick woman. But I think it will actually energize me. Plus, it will make for a time slot that they can't fill at the last minute with a P.E. class (that happened to a few teachers this year). Yes, friends, it's all about self-preservation. And we do have a few students who would really get a lot out of a creative-writing class.

I'll be overworked again next year. So I do hope they offer me a noticeable raise.

Comments

Popular Posts