The Rare Piano Update

It's been so hard to make time for the piano lately. We're in the home stretch for school, and all of the busy-ness has kept me on my toes--and away from George. Then, yesterday I was so tired that I opted to take a long, long nap when the notes on the page weren't making sense.

I didn't go to church this morning; I was still feeling woozy and under the weather, plus I was waiting for Hubster to come home from an out-of-town trip. I've been practicing for the last hour or so. It's been good. Not great, but good.

Piano really is a two-steps-forward-one-step-back kind of thing. Take scales for instance: I'll go for months, playing them as smoothly as humanly possible (perhaps I exaggerate), and then one day, as if a magic wand has been waved, one or two particular scales--usually in the minor keys--will suddenly cease to make any sense at all. Some of the culprits, I know, are (1) lack of practice time, and (2) mind-numbing fatigue, but all the same, it's very frustrating to think that I can't even retain the simplest scales.

But then I work extra hard, through my fatigue-addled brain, to get the scale I seem to have "lost." And I end up learning it better than I would have otherwise. So I guess that's the silver lining to it all.

I worked on the fugue this morning. I'm still learning it all hands-separately, learning each of the voices. I could probably sing each voice for the first three pages at this point, which is one of the goals--I need to have those notes well-ensconced in my memory so I can hear and recognize them once I start playing the voices together.

Poor Liszt is neglected, sulking in some dark corner of the Inner Sanctum. I'm out of practice time for now, and I need to do all of the school planning tonight that I didn't do yesterday because I was too tired. So Liszt is going to have to wait another week--or five. I cannot tell you how profoundly this depresses me.

Come to think of it, I've been more depressed than usual for the last four days. I'm hoping the piano concert today and the Yeats planning session tonight will help it to lift a bit.

Comments

Popular Posts