Friday, April 21, 2006

Books by Women Writers Meme

My apologies to the blogger from whom I copied this list. I copied and pasted a few days ago, and I can't remember where I found it online.

OK, now for some fun ...

Just BOLD those you’ve read, ITALICIZE the ones you’ve been meaning to read and ??? the ones you have never heard of. (My comments are in purple.)

Alcott, Louisa May–Little Women
Allende, Isabel–The House of Spirits
Angelou, Maya–I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Atwood, Margaret–Cat’s Eye (I read The Handmaid’s Tale and hated it.)
Austen, Jane–Emma (Ah, probably the best book on this list)
Bambara, Toni Cade–Salt Eaters???
Barnes, Djuna–Nightwood???
de Beauvoir, Simone–The Second Sex
Blume, Judy–Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.
Burnett, Frances–The Secret Garden (This is one of those that everyone seems to love, except for me.)
Bronte, Charlotte–Jane Eyre
Bronte, Emily–Wuthering Heights
Buck, Pearl S.–The Good Earth
Byatt, A.S.–Possession???
Cather, Willa–My Antonia
Christie, Agatha–Murder on the Orient Express
Cisneros, Sandra–The House on Mango Street
(This one's been on my list for a few years. Hoping to read it this summer, finally.)
Clinton, Hillary Rodham–Living History
Cooper, Anna Julia–A Voice From the South???
Danticat, Edwidge–Breath, Eyes, Memory???
Davis, Angela–Women, Culture, and Politics???
Desai, Anita–Clear Light of Day???
Dickinson, Emily–Collected Poems (Most of them. She wrote a lot of poems.)
Duncan, Lois–I Know What You Did Last Summer (I know I've read this. I don't remember anything about it, though. I hate when that happens.)
DuMaurier, Daphne–Rebecca
Eliot, George–Middlemarch
(loved this one)
Emecheta, Buchi–Second Class Citizen???
Erdrich, Louise–Tracks
Esquivel, Laura–Like Water for Chocolate
Flagg, Fannie–Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop CafĂ©
(Loved this one. I love everything I’ve read by Fannie Flagg, though most of my experience of her books has been through books on tape.)
Friedan, Betty–The Feminine Mystique
Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins–The Yellow Wallpaper
Gordimer, Nadine–July’s People
(I'm not sure if I've read this one or not. I know I read several books by Gordimer a few years back ... they were really good, so I feel bad that I can't remember the titles.)
Grafton, Sue–S is for Silence
Hamilton, Edith–Mythology
Highsmith, Patricia–The Talented Mr. Ripley
Hooks, Bell–Bone Black
Hurston, Zora Neale–Dust Tracks on the Road (Their Eyes Were Watching God is my favorite by Hurston.)
Jacobs, Harriet–Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Jackson, Helen Hunt–Ramona
Jackson, Shirley–The Haunting of Hill House (Is this one as bad as that awful “The Lottery”?)
Jong, Erica–Fear of Flying
Keene, Carolyn–The Nancy Drew Mysteries (any of them)
Kidd, Sue Monk–The Secret Life of Bees
(Read it. Liked it. But can’t understand why everyone was so ga-ga over it.)
Kincaid, Jamaica–Lucy
Kingsolver, Barbara–The Poisonwood Bible (I couldn't put this one down, for most of the book. It started to get slow at the very end, though.)
Kingston, Maxine Hong–The Woman Warrior
Larsen, Nella–Passing???
L’Engle, Madeleine–A Wrinkle in Time (Wonderful!)
Le Guin, Ursula K.–The Left Hand of Darkness
Lee, Harper–To Kill a Mockingbird (Ah, probably the second-best book on this list!)
Lessing, Doris–The Golden Notebook
Lively, Penelope–Moon Tiger???
Lorde, Audre–The Cancer Journals???
Martin, Ann M.–The Babysitters Club Series (Huh? These were after my time.)
McCullers, Carson–The Member of the Wedding
McMillan, Terry–Disappearing Acts???
Markandaya, Kamala–Nectar in a Sieve???
Marshall, Paule–Brown Girl, Brownstones???
Mitchell, Margaret–Gone with the Wind (Nope, I’ve really never read this one.)
Montgomery, Lucy–Anne of Green Gables
Morgan, Joan–When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost???
Morrison, Toni–Song of Solomon
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu–The Tale of Genji???
Munro, Alice–Lives of Girls and Women???
Murdoch, Iris–Severed Head???
Naylor, Gloria–Mama Day???
Niffenegger, Audrey–The Time Traveller’s Wife
Oates, Joyce Carol–We Were the Mulvaneys (Read it. This is another one that everyone except me seemed to love.)
O’Connor, Flannery–A Good Man is Hard to Find
Piercy, Marge–Woman on the Edge of Time???
Picoult, Jodi–My Sister’s Keeper???
Plath, Sylvia–The Bell Jar (What a downer this one is …)
Porter, Katharine Anne–Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie–The Shipping News (loved this one)
Rand, Ayn–The Fountainhead
Ray, Rachel–365: No Repeats???
Rhys, Jean–Wide Sargasso Sea
Robinson, Marilynne–Housekeeping???
Rocha, Sharon–For Laci???
Sebold, Alice–The Lovely Bones (What a morbid, morbid book.)
Shelley, Mary–Frankenstein (Yes!)
Smith, Betty–A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Smith, Zadie–White Teeth
Spark, Muriel–The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Spyri, Johanna–Heidi
Strout, Elizabeth–Amy and Isabelle???
Steel, Danielle–The House???
Tan, Amy–The Joy Luck Club
Tannen, Deborah–You’re Wearing That??? (I’ve read some of her books on language, but haven’t heard of this one)
Ulrich, Laurel–A Midwife’s Tale???
Urquhart, Jane–Away???
Walker, Alice–The Temple of My Familiar
Welty, Eudora–One Writer’s Beginnings (Eudora, I love you.)
Wharton, Edith–Age of Innocence
Wilder, Laura Ingalls–Little House in the Big Woods
Wollstonecraft, Mary–A Vindication of the Rights of Women
Woolf, Virginia–A Room of One’s Own

No comments: