Saturday, March 25, 2006

Movin' On Up

Today I spent a lot of time working on the Liszt and the fugue.

My assignment for the Liszt: finish writing in the fingering, then list the sections in order from simplest to most difficult. (We had divided the entire piece into sections at our last lesson.) So I did that, and decided that Section 10 was the hardest (sorry, I don't have the measure numbers with me ... I'll add 'em later). So I worked on Section 10. Amazingly, it really isn't too bad. Nothing's too hard, I guess, when you're just working on a measure or a part of a measure.

I really love this piece ... I love all the voices going here and there. And, since I'm very familiar with the vocal version by Schubert, and with the words, it's really neat to see what Liszt did to make the piano transcription.

With the fugue, my assignment was (again) to write in all of the fingering and then to familiarize myself with each voice. I spent some time on that this evening.

Whew. This is a difficult piece for me already. The Liszt, at least, is simple enough when I break it down. The Bach isn't. There is so much going on in; it's a little overwhelming, but in a good way. Kind of like a huge hot tub or a tray full of amaretto truffles would be overwhelming.

I feel like I'm moving up. The inventions and sinfonias have been good, but I was playing at the same level when I was in high school and college (though I adamantly refused to play Bach after ninth grade). The P&F, and even the Liszt, are a step up in difficulty. They are challenging, but I'm excited about them because I know my technique will improve as a result of playing them. (I also thing one's brain becomes smarter from doing such things ...)

During a brief stint of piano lessons back in 1997, I played a couple of Mozskowski etudes. They were too hard, above my level, but boy, did my technique improve as a result of playing trying to play them. I think these pieces, or at least the fugue, will have a similar effect.

It's almost midnight. Time to go read.

No comments:

Post a Comment