Dreaming of Summer

According to my countdown, we have 70 more days before school is out for the summer. Included in those 70 days are weekends, spring break, a week-long school trip to Washington, D.C. (which means a restful week at school for me), and senior trip (which means another restful week for me, since many of my students are seniors).

According to the school schedule, that means 2.5 more weeks of this six-week period, plus one more six-week period.

I think I'm going to make it. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but I do see some faint glimmers of spring weather, and that will help a lot.

Thoughts of summer ... ahh, I feel like a fifth-grader looking forward to a summer of swimming, bike-riding, and Little League. Part of me pessimistically thinks, "Summer can't be that wonderful. Someone--maybe me, or maybe someone I love--is going to get deathly ill. There's going to be an accident. Money will become and issue and I'll have to get a full-time job for the summer. It can't possibly work the way I want it to."

Then, I push those thoughts out of my mind and think, "If I'm able to have an ideal summer, I want it to consist of ..."

Practicing piano. Practicing for three or four hours a day for the first time since college. Giving it the time and energy I've been wanting to give it ever since I started playing again back in 2004.

Resuming work on my novel. Remember "TNP"? It's been sitting on my bookcase, waiting patiently for me to come back to it.

Hiking and writing the hiking guide for my area. This is another project that got shelved because I didn't have enough time. I'll have time for that now.

Spending time with that stranger who lives in my house, a.k.a. The Hubster. We both work so much that our time together is severely limited. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but this is ridiculous.

I've already worked out a schedule that allows time for all of these things. In addition to that, I have a couple of freelance jobs early in the summer.

I want to take it easy and do the things I love: making music, writing, hiking, and being with Hubster.

70 more days.

Comments

Popular Posts