Sunday, March 26, 2006

Disheartening

The Hubster used our new digital camera to "videotape" me practicing my Bach.

I was very disheartened as I watched the video. The music sounds okay (if you ignore the fact that George is more out of tune than ever), but my poor hands look like they're undergoing the tortures of the, uh, darned.

In the picture to the left, do you see how my thumbs are in "hitchhiker" mode, bent stiffly back? Try bending your thumbs back like that, and notice how much muscle effort is required to do so.

Needless to say, my thumbs are not supposed to do that when I play. They're supposed to be relaxed and restful. They stay like that, though--all tensed up. I have to concentrate really hard to make them relax.

Now, if my thumbs are so tense that they're bent back as far as they can go, imagine how the rest of my hands must be. Not to mention my wrists, arms, shoulders, neck, back, etc.

Tense, tense, tense. Those hands look so tense. I need to do something. I don't care if my stress and tension make me difficult to live with, or make it impossible for me to sleep, but ... oh, the sight of those poor, frozen hands with their stick-like fingers trying to play Bach just breaks my heart!

For the 100th time, I am so ready for summer and the relaxation it will bring.

No comments: