Oh, the Irony!

Yesterday after school, I had a very productive meeting with my principal and one of the lead teachers. They were both concerned that I'm on the path to burnout, and we discussed ways that I might cut back on my work without compromising the educational needs of my students.

After about twenty minutes of discussion (in which they said that they had heard very nice things about my teaching from the students--that made me feel good), I had lots of little tips to think about: spot-checking homework rather than picking it up and grading it, giving more multiple choice/true-false questions and fewer essay questions on tests, assigning shorter essays, etc.

They were very concerned about the fact that I'm so tired, yet they could sympathize, since they'd been through the same struggles during their first years of teaching.

As I got ready to leave, my principal said, "Oh, and we really want you to play the piano for our graduation ceremony in May. It'll just be about twenty or thirty minutes of classical music, then 'Pomp and Circumstance' when they're getting their diplomas."

I took a deep breath, smiled, and said, "'Pomp and Circumstance'? Twenty or thirty minutes of classical? Um ... OK."

Seriously, it will be an honor to play for the ceremony. But still ... I just had to laugh at the irony of it. :)

Comments

Popular Posts