Tuesday, February 7, 2006

My First Prelude & Fugue

I start learning my first Bach prelude & fugue in a few weeks. I should have learned my first one back in high school, but I was a stubborn little piano student who, after being scarred for life by Bach festivals, refused to learn anything by Bach (much to my teachers' chagrin).

At 34, I saw the error of my ways and have been making up for it ever since.

So now, at 35 or 36, I get to learn my first prelude & fugue.

I'm actually excited about this. I've been listening to Book I of the Well-Tempered Clavier constantly for days, trying to figure out which pieces I want to learn.

I'm most in love with the C#-major prelude & fugue. Scary, because it has seven sharps, but it's just so exuberantly joyful that I can't stop smiling when I listen to it.

Music-playing and -listening readers: do you have a favorite prelude, fugue, and/or prelude & fugue?

No comments: