I'm Letting Them Read

I hate that I am doing this. I don't want to let them read. It puts us yet another day behind. Most of the time, it's not my doing that we are behind schedule. Most of the time, it's out of my control. But not this time.

I am just so tired. I can't see straight. Really. I'm seeing little white splotches float around in front of my eyes. In science, while playing "science jeopardy," I was supposed to be Alex and kept losing my place mid-question.

Now we're in English Lit. We had Narnia Day yesterday and discussed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was a good class. We were going to continue the discussion today. But I'm too tired. They're too tired, too. I think everyone is exhausted. Besides, we rarely have "reading days" in this class.

So I told them to get their Narnia books and get started on Prince Caspian. Or to read Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey." It's quiet in here, except for the clicking of my keyboard and strains of Haydn from Naxos Radio.

They are really enjoying reading the Chronicles of Narnia. My English Lit students are walking around the halls with their noses in the Narnia books. It's supposed to be like this, because reading is supposed to be fun.

So they're reading and enjoying it. As much as I love "Tintern Abbey," they probably won't enjoy it as much as they are enjoying Narnia.

That's fine with me. It's nice to see them reading. Friday "reading days" really aren't such a bad idea.

Comments

Popular Posts