Saturday, February 4, 2006

Grading, Vino, and Poppea

I had a good day today. I slept in, for one thing. This past week and the week before have been my toughest weeks of teaching since I started this career past last August. The kids weren't bad or anything; I was just exhausted and barely holding it together. I was so relieved for the weekend to get here (and we might have a snow day on Monday! Hooray!).

Hubster had to work at camp all day, so I had the day to myself. I played piano and blogged this morning, then I went to Panacea, the best little coffee shop in western North Carolina (except for its hours). I sat there for about three hours and graded a bunch of homeworks and a few papers. Then I went to the library to return about 100 overdue books. Then I thought to myself, "I'd love to have a nice, smooth glass of vino tonight."

I started to go to the grocery store, then I decided to go to a little wine shop downtown. I'd never been there, so it was something new. I got into a nice conversation with the guy who worked there and ended up buying a couple of bottles--one for a special occasion, and one for practicing Bach and watching movies tonight with the Hubster.

When I got home, I played with George a bit, then went to the computer to plug in and charge my iPod. I love my iPod. I don't have that much occasion to listen to it, but it's perfect for working out and walking. And I've downloaded soooo much stuff from the iTunes Music Store. Tonight, I found "Pur ti Miro, Pur ti Stringo" from L'incoronazione di Poppea, an opera by Monteverdi. When I signed up for "Music and Theatre" (an opera history/appreciation class) in college, I wondered if I'd ever learn to appreciate opera. One of the first operas (maybe the first) we studied was Poppea, and I was hooked: first by something called "Non morir Seneca," and second by a haunting love duet titled "Pur ti Miro, Pur ti Stringo."

I've been wanting to hear that duet again for years, but, other than the rare playing of the Poppea on NPR, I haven't been able to find it. Oh, I could buy the entire opera on CD, but who has the money for that? Someday I will. Probably from the iTunes Music Store.

So tonight I downloaded "Pur ti Miro." And I'm listening to it now.

I'm going to be an opera singer in my next life.

No comments: