It's Late Again

No snow day today. We only had a half-day of school (supposedly ... I managed to stay there until 4:00). It's the last day of the grading period, and all last days of grading periods are half-days. I'm not sure what the logic is behind that, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Good news. My SAT Prep class has been cancelled due to lack of interest. That's bad news for the kids who don't think they need a class to prepare for the SAT, but it's good news for me, their would-be teacher. I'm already exhausted, and it's only January. I have enough on my plate.

More good news. In English 9, we've finally started Romeo and Juliet, and in English 12 we're getting ready to start the Romantic Era. Yes, folks, I'll be teaching the poetry of my beloved Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Keats. Oh, and Byron and Shelley, too. I'm so excited. The only danger here is that I'll under-prepare as a result of overconfidence since I'm probably more familiar with the Romantics than with another group of writers in English literature.

One of my best memories of high school was in Falz's class the day we read Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey" poem. And the day we read "Ode to a Nightingale." And the day we read "Ode on a Grecian Urn." And the day we read "To Autumn."

My silly planning guide only allots one day to Keats. Silly planning guide. I'm going to blatantly ignore it when we get to Keats.

Tonight, I still need to plan a short lecture on C.S. Lewis, outline the next two weeks of composition, and re-read Act 1, Scene 1 of R&J and look over my lesson notes.

It never ends. I'm exhausted. I love school, but I won't complain when summer finally gets here.

Comments

Popular Posts