Saturday, November 12, 2005

Naxos.com (and Music) Revisited

Ahhh ... it's back. Yesterday, I welcomed Naxos.com back into my life.

My one-year "membership" to Naxos.com ended months ago, but I didn't renew it because I wasn't on the computer often enough to enjoy it. Now that I have a school computer, things are different. Yesterday was the first time I really got to sit down and play on my computer-- change the desktop, make an "I love semicolons" marquee for a screensaver, set up some favorites, etc.

A top priority was gladly parting with $19.99 for a year's worth of full Naxos.com access.

Right now I'm listening to a cello-piano version of the gorgeous Liszt transcription of Schubert's "Standchen."

It's making my fingers itch to practice piano. And it's giving my brain cabin fever. It wants to go explore music history and theory.

Part of it might be that, yesterday, in the middle of a one-on-one session about sentence structuring, a student asked me a question about music theory. Next thing I know, I'm at the board, drawing a music staff with a treble clef and a bass clef, and explaining how most of the "top notes" correspond to the right hand on the piano, and how most of the "bottom notes" are left hand.

So he asks, "So, do some chords sound better with others? You know, are there like chord sequences or something that you can memorize because they sound good?"

Next thing I know, we're upstairs at the piano, and I'm explaining the joy of cadences and the circle of fifths.

So. I now have a classroom, I'm now a bit better at lesson planning, and I now have naxos.com back. And, I have a student who is interested in learning about music. It's opened a little crevice in my busy brain, and lo and behold, some music has seeped in. Who knows what'll come next ... maybe even a music-related blog post or two.

Imagine that! Woo hoo!

My only real concern is that I'll get manic and start my crazy emotional reeling from extreme to extreme. For some reason, music, more than anything else, seems to have that effect on me.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings to you. free tropical screensaver related information is of great interest to me and so I am usually online checking it out. I came accross your site and spent some time checking out your content, although I was really interested in free tropical screensaver related stuff. Keep up the good work.

    Maybe you can drop by my site http://www.natureislephotos.com one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to you. tropical screensavers related information is of great interest to me and so I am usually online checking it out. I came accross your site and spent some time checking out your content, although I was really interested in tropical screensavers related stuff. Keep up the good work.

    Maybe you can drop by my site http://www.natureislephotos.com one of those days.

    ReplyDelete