Saturday, November 5, 2005

It's Here!

It's here, it's here! My classroom is here! Am I happy? Why yes, I believe I am!



I went to the school this morning to find that they had torn down the wall separating the miniscule fourth-grade room from the miniscule fifth-grade room. Mrs. Fourth Grade and Mrs. Fifth Grade had moved into their new rooms, and their combined leftover room was a mess.

We spent several hours scraping, wiping, sweeping, mopping, hauling, and painting, and finally, around 5:00 this afternoon, my classroom seemed to have become a reality. Twenty-two blue-and-grey desks, two whiteboards, two bulletin boards (one for English and one for science), and a REAL DESK. But wait, there's more! I also have a storage room with two huge bookcases, 20 copies of The Hobbit, a hanging bookcase for my most treasured books, and a four-drawer filing cabinet.

But wait, there's more! I also have two huge tables in the back part of the room for science labs, four science-lab cabinets, and another storage cabinet.

But wait, there's more! Have I mentioned that I also have a brand-new Dell computer? Well, I do!

Toward the end of the day, a mom, one of my students, and her little sister helped me paint an old cabinet. It was fun. It's really cool how the parents and students really came together to help me get my classroom ready. It's still not quite ready; I have yet to order and hang up all the cool wall decorations and bulletin board designs I have planned. But for now, I have what I need to teach. I am, indeed, the happiest teacher alive.

No comments: