A-ha!

Well, since Jeanette don't need no culture, I will no longer feel obligated to be cultural. :) Seriously, I miss my culture-related posts, so maybe someday (when I get my magical classroom and computer in the sky!) I'll have more time to collect interesting information and post it here.

For now, you're stuck, dear readers, with random reports of my mildly exciting life.

I spent yesterday evening cutting out construction-paper chromosomes for a spudoodle. The time and effort were definitely worth it; we had mama chromosomes and papa chromosomes, and then we donated one chromosome from each pair to the baby spudoodle, then we "built" the baby. I wanted to get a picture of our spudoodle, but I didn't have the camera at school. Maybe tomorrow, if Freddy (for that's his name) is still on his perch on Mrs. S's lectern.

After school, I headed for Asheville and piano. It was a good lesson, even though my practice time this week has (as usual) been pathetically limited. It's amazing how I've retained my contrary-motion scales, though. Today I played the c#-minor scales in contrary motion, at a nice, brisk pace, and I didn't make a single mistake.

The rest of the lesson, I focused on two measures of the g-minor sinfonia by my Beloved, Bewigged, and Bejowled One. Two measures. Over 40 minutes. I love digging in and focusing on a tiny, small section. I love playing the same four or five notes over and over again, s l o w l y, until all of the sustained notes, all of the dynamics, all of the shapings, are perfect. It's like with poetry: I love to focus, focus, focus on a short bit of poetry, and just let my brain do gymnastics over the potential meanings of a word or phrase, and then let it do more gymnastics on how each potential meaning might fit into the greater scheme of the poem. Eventually, after enough gymnastics, the brain finally goes "Ah!" and all of the joyful effort is worth it. Usually, the whole experience is fraught with those awesome "A-ha" moments.

A-ha moments. Ah, yes. Those very moments, I explained to my freshmen today, are why I majored in English in college, and why I later got an M.A. in English. All because I thrill over live for those "a-ha" moments.

It's the same way with Bach. When I get those five notes perfect, when I can play them at a normal pace as part of the larger piece ... there's that "Ah!" and that sense of ... fulfillment? joy? completion? A-ha?

Y'all know what I mean.

Comments

Popular Posts