Class Observation

My class got observed today. I was getting ready to start English Lit during fourth period, and another teacher came in to sit and do an evaluation. I was nervous because I wasn't as prepared as usual; we were covering the end of Act III of Macbeth, which I think of as "in-between" scenes--they're not as meaty as those immediately preceding or immediately after. So, instead of crafting a detailed lesson plan last night, I focused instead on finishing up the grading of their literary analysis essays.

The class went all right, though. It wasn't one of my best classes, but it wasn't bad, either. Probably a 6.5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Later, for sixth period, he came in and watched my ninth-grade English class. I was nervous again. I taught on Emily Dickinson's "She Sweeps with Many-Colored Brooms" and on pronouns and antecedents. The class went pretty well. Afterward, the evaluator told me I'd done a great job, but that we'd need to have a meeting to discuss the evaluation later this week.

I told him that, as much as I like and need praise, that I really wanted him to tell me, in detail, what I'm doing wrong and what I can do better. I've taught college, but most of my adult life has been spent outside of the classroom. I'm new to this experience, and I need to know where I can improve.

I'm tired now. I handed back the English Lit papers, but now I have a batch of composition papers that I need to return before fifth period tomorrow, in time for peer editing. At least I've written the peer editing sheet.

For now, I have a science quiz and an English Lit quiz to write, and then I'm free to go to the coffee shop and do what I do best most: grade papers.

Comments

Popular Posts