Yet Another School-Related Post

Day 1 of Macbeth went well. I think I get high on discussing Shakespeare. I feel sorry for my composition class, which meets immediately after English Lit. I'm distracted for the first ten minutes of class because my mind is so completely soaked in Macbeth.

Wanna know what else I did yesterday?

In Life Science, I taught DNA replication. I don't know, it just seems so cool that I get to be the one to introduce kids to thymine, adenine, guanine, and cytosine (and don't forget uracil!) for the first time. Such an honor!

In composition, we discussed paragraph unity and a paragraph-building technique called downshifting, in which you move from very general sentence "levels" to very specific ones. Downshifting helps you to keep your focus on the topic sentence of a paragraph and helps ensure that every sentence in your entire paragraph is related to the topic sentence. I've been on an "Avoid Paragraph Sprawl" kick lately in that class.

In English 9, we discussed count and noncount nouns and I assigned a book report. Sounds boring, but it wasn't too bad. I really like my ninth graders, even if they are a bit rowdy. Some of them are hysterically funny, and I enjoy teaching them.

Today, I'm teaching RNA transcription; Act 1, Scene 2 of Macbeth; and characterization in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." In composition we're doing peer editing, and then on Thursday we're going to take a little break from essays and play with some poetry. I'm having the class work on individual "Where I Am From" poems. Aren't ya jealous? Should be fun!

Comments

Popular Posts