T-Shirt Tyme

For this week's Tarheel Tavern, North Carolina bloggers were asked to tell about their favorite t-shirts.

I don't know if I have any favorite t-shirts these days, but I thought I'd share two of 'em with you. For whatever reason, these two have survived wardrobe-purging events and have avoided the family's annual trip to Goodwill.

This is probably my oldest t-shirt. I bought it in the summer of 1988 on a family vacation to Vancouver. I had just graduated from high school and was gearing up for my first (and what would be my only) semester at Tulane University. When I bought this t-shirt, I told myself, "This is it. I'm wearing this t-shirt on my first day of college."

Even though this t-shirt is over 15 years old, I still get compliments on it every time I wear it.

Now, I got this t-shirt at some little tie-dye booth in the French Quarter (actually the French Market) in New Orleans. It was May Term 1989, and I was taking a course titled "History of Jazz in New Orleans." When I signed up for the course, I thought it was about the History of New Orleans Jazz, to be taught at my college, which is located in Virginia. No ... the course was "History of Jazz" ... IN New Orleans. So I got to spend four wonderful weeks living in uptown New Orleans while taking a course in jazz. We were required to attend all seven days of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. What a tough class! :)

Anyway, I bought this t-shirt one weekend while hanging out in the French Quarter during that time. It's been a favorite t-shirt of mine for many years, even though I'm not much of a hippie-peacenik type anymore. It's another t-shirt that often gets compliments, though it's getting pretty threadbare and may end up on the family Goodwill trip in another year or two.

So, readers ... even if you're not from North Carolina, I'd love to know what your favorite t-shirts are. Please let me know in the comments, or better yet, post something about it on your own blog!

Comments

Popular Posts