Sonnets!!

I'm so happy! We finally get to read some Shakespeare tomorrow!! Yee-ha! I'm so happy!

Today I asked my seniors if any of them knew what a sonnet was, and none of them knew. Woo hoo! I get to be the teacher who introduces them to sonnets!

They will love Shakespeare, because I love Shakespeare!

So, here's one of the sonnets we're going to read tomorrow. It'll be an exercise in learning how to scan, learning how to identify iambic pentameter, and learning how to determine rhyme scheme--as well as an exercise in learning how to actually figure out what the heck a 16th-century sonnet's saying.

Sonnet 19

Devouring Time, blunt thou the lion's paws,
And make the earth devour her own sweet brood;
Pluck the keen teeth from the fierce tiger's jaws,
And burn the long-lived phoenix in her blood;
Make glad and sorry seasons as thou fleets,
And do whate'er thou wilt, swift-footed Time,
To the wide world and all her fading sweets;
But I forbid thee one most heinous crime:
O, carve not with thy hours my love's fair brow,
Nor draw no lines there with thine antique pen;
Him in thy course untainted do allow
For beauty's pattern to succeeding men.
Yet, do thy worst, old Time: despite thy wrong,
My love shall in my verse ever live young.

Hee hee! This is thrilling! I get to introduce people to Shakespeare's sonnets! I get to share with them this great tradition of English literature, a poetic style that many students have moaned and groaned about because it's "too boring" or "too hard" or "a waste of time."

I hope my students don't moan and groan. Today, as we read a short poem by Queen Elizabeth I, someone asked why it was written in such a weird, contrived style. I replied without thinking, "Well, that's all part of the fun!"

Hee hee.

I'm a happy girlie. Even though I'm stressed out of my mind. :)

Comments

Popular Posts