Running

Do I have any running readers here? I'm thinking of taking up running. I've tired of the elliptical machine, the bike, and the stairmaster; I can do an hard-core hour on any of them without breaking a sweat. Really. So I'm thinking of taking up treadmill-running for my indoor aerobic activity of choice for the winter.

I went to my health club yesterday (such a luxury on my private-school teacher salary!) and did an hour of walking and running, with approximately 20 minutes devoted to running. Today I did the same thing, only with 30 minutes of running.

I'm not getting tired the way I expected I would. After all, running is hard work! I guess I just need to keep increasing the running intervals, but at the same time I don't want to injure myself. Physically, my body is definitely not used to this motion!

Several months ago, I mentioned to a trainer that I was bored with my workout, particularly the aerobic aspect. He said the best thing for me to do would be (1) to go on another long-distance hike, or (2) to train for a marathon, or at least a half-marathon.

I'm thinking about a half-marathon, since another long-distance hike is a months and months away.

I'd be glad to hear any advice from any of my readers who are into long-distance running and have trained for such long-distance races.

Comments

Popular Posts