Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Just-for-the-Heck-of-It Ramble

My birthmom wanted me to post so she'd having something more to read in her daily surf of bloggery. She's now back online, for good, after being evacuated from Kenner, Louisiana, and then coming home to find her whole world in dissolution. (Her apartment was spared, but the emotional impact of being back in the New Orleans area was devastating.)

So she's living somewhere else now, somewhere much closer to me (yay!), and is back visiting the blogosphere again. So I'll post something--even though I haven't much to say this morning.

There's a lot I want to write, but much of it is of a personal nature. That never stopped me before, but I am a bit "higher-profile" than I was when in Cubicle Land. People I work with know my blog address. Even some of my students may have it--which probably means that most of my students have it. So, even though I'm pretty much an open book with most folks, a part of me resists writing "innermost thoughts" the way I might have a year ago. If I'm frustrated about school, I'm reluctant to write too much about it; I don't want to bad-mouth the school in public, particularly when I know that my frustration is only temporary. I don't want to share too much of myself because I like the "distance" of wearing the teacher hat.

"Waterfall," you're thinking, "This has never been a 'true confessions' blog. Why don't you post something about Bach or piano?"

I guess my arts/music postings have slowed down because my internet-time has gone from eight hours a day to maybe a half-hour a day ... and that half-hour is broken into six or seven four- or five-minute blocks. There is just no time to collect information, download a picture, and wrap everything up into a neat little post.

I need to find more time. I like the fact that some people have listed me as an "arts" blog in their blogrolls. This definitely hasn't been an arts blog lately. It's turned into an education blog. That's not a bad thing, but it is a bad thing that piano and music have been on the back burner of my life ever since school began.

I haven't quit playing piano, though my practice-time has seen an acute decrease. I'm playing a couple of times a week for the latchkey kids and am enjoying that immensely. Yesterday, one little third-grader ran up to me when I was in the hall and dragged me to the piano so she could play "Yankee Doodle" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb" for me--two songs that she had learned by ear. I showed her how to hold her fingers curved and gave her a suggestion on fingering. Then we played that horrid favorite of all children, the "Heart and Soul" duet.

Ack. I just re-read that last paragraph and thought to myself, "How the mighty have fallen!" I need to get back to my regular, serious practices. Playing duets with kids is fun, and it's definitely fulfilling, but there is no substitute for playing a difficult classical piece well after months of dedicated practice.

What a ramble. It's 6:34 a.m., which means it's time for me to get my shower and get ready for school. I think it's going to be a good day, even though I'm currently very frustrated about school-related things. This, too, shall pass ... so I won't go into the details of my frustration here.

Later, y'all!

No comments: