Fun with Mitosis

Yes, kiddies, Waterfall can make even asexual reproduction fun. All you need is the internet.

We started the "Genes and Mitosis" unit of science today. Last night, as I looked at the material, I remembered learning about mitosis when I was in seventh grade. I hated it. I didn't understand it. The day we covered mitosis was one of the few boring classes I remember ever having with Mr. Marvin.

So I needed to do something. I needed to make mitosis interesting.

I found this lesson plan online and decided to give it a shot. Basically, it involves using some cord and several pairs of socks to "enact" mitosis. Here's the beginning of anaphase, for example:



I have five students in my class, so I used five pairs of socks. I lectured on mitosis, and while they didn't seem as confused as I'd been in seventh grade, they still weren't entirely comfortable with the new concepts.

Then we did the "sock lab." And it was as if I could see the lightbulbs going on in their little minds. "Ohhhhh, now I get it ...!"

What a great exercise. I showed it to one of the other science teachers, and she's going to use it, too.

I'm just glad I could make mitosis as painless as possible for my students.

We finished the lab up early, so we went to the piano and played fun songs for a few minutes until the bell rang.

I love being a teacher.

Comments

Popular Posts