I Snapped at My Students Today

I know. It's really bad. Teachers aren't supposed to snap at students. Particularly when the students really haven't done anything to warrant being snapped at. I apologized later in the class. Explained that I was frustrated about something not related to their class, and that I had taken it out on them, and that it was wrong, and that I was sorry. I really did feel bad; I have two favorite classes, and this one was one of them.

I just seem to have too much going on. One of the school's employees goes to my church, and we were talking this morning. As I was telling her things that needed praying for, it just seemed like I wouldn't stop ... Katrina-evacuee family members, Rita-evacuee family members, loved ones with fatal illnesses, serious (and very upsetting) discord among other loved ones, and general frustration with lots of other things.

School is wonderful because it gets my mind off these things. Even if kids act up, they are still a distraction from "real-life" stuff, and the distraction is welcome. Of course, students are much more than a "distraction"; they are the reason I am at this school, and it's my job and my joy to help them learn.

So I really felt bad about snapping at my students. If I've had a bad day and am feeling down, this afternoon class always brings me back up. If I've had a good day, they're typically the proverbial icing on the (yummy) cake. But they also meet when my patience is most worn, and when I'm not at my best.

I hope tomorrow will be better.

Comments

Popular Posts