School and Blogging

Well, we've had three days of teacher work-days (read: in-service classes) with two more to go, and then the students start on Monday.

I'm thinking of having a class blog and there is a good chance that folks from school will find their way to this blog, so I'm not going to be super-specific on school-related issues, good or bad. But I know that you, dear readers, are clamoring for details (hee hee!), so here's how things are going so far ...

Good. Things are good. They could be better (I could have, you know, my own classroom), but then again, they could be a lot worse (I could have, you know, a dragon for a principal).

But I can't complain. I have so much love and respect already for the people that I'll be working with. I think the world of my principal and vice-principal, and the teachers are just amazing. Smart, friendly, godly, humble, funny, giving, kind ... I could go on, but you get the picture. They are very real. I like that. The other English teacher, who has been at this school for a number of years, has been extremely helpful to this newbie, and for that I'm unspeakably grateful. The secretary, who was a friend of mine before I got the job (and who is a big reason I have the job at all), has been so patient with me and my zillion "will-I-have-a-classroom" questions. The employees of this school are just good people. I am humbled by them, and I am honored to be working with them. I know that sounds dorky and syrupy, but it's the truth.

I haven't done much this week in the way of preparing for school. I've just been so tired upon arriving home each day, and I've had meetings every night. I cancelled this evening's piano lesson (Bad Waterfall! Bad Waterfall!) because tomorrow night is open house and I haven't done a thing to prepare for it. Plus, the Hubster has a late meeting and I really just needed some quiet time.

*********************

So, I'm thinking of starting a class blog for my English lit class. They have to keep a pretty intensive reading-response journal, and I thought I might require that one entry a week be posted on the class blog. And I could require each student to post a certain number of informational "literary" posts per quarter. Nothing major, really--no more detailed than the "Happy Birthday (or death-day), Famous Person" posts that I write here. But our computer teacher has a requirement to teach "web-based research" and doesn't know much about it herself, so it might be a good joint-teaching effort for the two of us.

Speaking of Blogging, I think I'm going to shut down my "First-Year Writing Teacher" blog and just post all education-related posts here at A Sort of Notebook. Originally, I created a separate blog for it because (1) it would be a niche blog, and (2) I didn't want to bore you, dear readers, with my teaching-related woes. However, I don't post on it that much, and I have enough homeschooling-mom readers that my education posts may be of some use to them.

So, if this blog were to have themes, you can add education to the existing themes of music, piano, writing, literature, cats, hiking, and navel-gazing.

Enough of this. I need to get some things ready for Open House!

(P.S. There are two things I miss about Cubicle Land: Listening to naxos.com all day, and having time to look up things and provide links on music-related things.)

Comments

Popular Posts