Tuesday, July 5, 2005

What's Up With Waterfall

When I told my mom I was thinking of shutting down this blog, she said, "Well, how am I going to know what you're up to?"

Well, um, I guess we could talk on the phone or e-mail or something.

Still, it's how she keeps up with what's going through my twisted mind from day to day. So, since I don't have much else to blog about, here's what I'm up to, for family members and friends and anyone else who might be interested.

1. I've quit Café Teria. My last day is Saturday. I liked my boss and didn't mind the work, but it just wasn't working out for me. So that's three jobs I've quit in the last three months. Hm, I promise, this isn't typical behavior for me! I just hope to find a few freelance-writing assignments before starting my teaching career in the fall.

2. Café Teria is at a Christian camp. One of my pasttimes lately is to contemplate the fact that pre-teen and young teenage girls will wear their Jesus t-shirts and crucifix necklaces with shorts that are so miniscule that you can see the beginning of the curve where the bottom of their butts start. Now, I'm not one to look at that aspect of people's anatomy, but you really can't help it when these kids wear these clothes. Particularly when their Jesus t-shirts are about two sizes too small, bringing their neo-breasts into perky prominence. My word. I'm really not getting prudish in my old age ... I just find it odd that these kids, of all people, dress this way.

3. TNP (the novel I'm supposed to be writing) came to a near-standstill at about the time I started working at Café Teria. Now that I've quit, I hope it will move back into the forefront of my attention.

4. We had the opportunity to see the premiere of "Hexalogue" by 13-year-old prodigy-composer Jay "Bluejay" Greenberg this weekend. He was at the performance, which was part of the Swannanoa Chamber Music Festival. I don't understand enough about modern-day music to give even a hint of a critique. I enjoyed it, though--it was a six-part "dialogue" (get it? hexalogue?) between winds and piano. I was pretty impressed. I didn't even know what "hexalogue" meant when I was 13, and here he is writing a whole composition with that title. :)

5. I had a so-so Fourth of July. Had to work from 6:30 to 2:30 at Café Teria, then Hubster and I drove 1.5 hours to have dinner with my mom, dad, sister, future brother-in-law, and future brother-in-law's parents. Had dinner, then drove back home, which means we didn't get home until after 10:30. And I had to be at work at 6:30 a.m. again this morning.

6. It's my nephew Frankie's 16th birthday. Happy Birthday, Frankie!

No comments: