Friday, July 8, 2005

The Strangest Thing

Tomorrow is my last day at Café Teria. A lot of the folks I worked with today are off tomorrow, so I said a lot of my goodbyes today.

When I got home, I had a message on my machine. It was my friend R., who is working at a camp for the summer (she's also a teacher). They had an employee walk out on them and are desperate for help, and would I be available to help them out (for pay) a couple hours a day?

Sure, I said. Provided it's in the afternoons.

"That would be great!"

So I start Monday. Before we hung up, I asked, "So, what is this company? What am I supposed to be doing?"

It's computer stuff. They need someone who is good with computers and can work at lightning speed. Good thing they called me! (Oddly enough, had they asked me to do this work as a volunteer, I would have said yes. I've secured a few freelance jobs recently and don't even need the extra income for the rest of the summer. Which is part of the reason I was able to quit the Café Teria job.)

Weird how jobs seem to fall into my lap this way.

Stay tuned. I'm going to write an exciting (not) blog post about why Café Teria employment was preferable to working in Cubicle Land.

No comments: