Saturday, July 2, 2005

Something I've Noticed

When you're doing some sort of a menial job, say, breaking down boxes or sorting silverware, there are some people who will just start helping you, no questions asked. There are others who, upon noticing you, will pretend they didn't see you and inconspicuously saunter away to some other place. Once they get to that other place, they just stare into space and otherwise do nothing.

It's not like they had other work to do; they just don't want to do any work at all. They would rather stare into space (thinking deep thoughts? I don't think so ...) than help out. I don't understand this. For me, to be at a job and have nothing to do is awful. "Lack of work to do" is one of the reasons I quit my last job (and jobs before that).

I've worked with these people before, in both white- and blue-collar jobs. And they never cease to dumbfound me, or to annoy me profoundly.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

No comments: