This Writing Life

I am really loving this writing life. (Am I allowed to call it a "writing life," since I'm not being paid to be a writer? I wonder.)

I'm trying to make the most of it. Who knows, once school begins in August, I may find myself with precious little time for my own writing. So here's what I'm doing every day:

8:00 a.m. (or so) to 12 p.m. (or so): Fiction. This is when I primarily work on my novel ("TNP") or one of several other much-smaller projects. I start out with journal stuff, you know, clearing out my head. This takes about a half-hour. Then I get to real work. I started out writing only three or four pages of "TNP" a day, but now I've worked my way up to more. In fact, today I wrote eleven pages. I finally quit because my hand was aching from all the writing. I have written 83 pages so far.

12 p.m. (or so) to 1 p.m. (or so): Break. Lunch, phone calls, errands.

1 p.m. (or so) to 3 p.m. (or so): Non-fiction. This has been an iffy period of the day. It's usually the period in which my brain shuts down, so the non-fiction sessios haven't gone as smoothly as the morning fiction sessions. Frustrating, because the non-fiction would have a much greater chance of getting published, and much of what I'm working on is 90% finished and ready to be sent out. I guess part of me is scared to send things. Also, my "P(rocrasinating)" personality really comes through here. (See, right now I'm supposed to be working on an essay I started last week, but I'm blogging on a mundane subject instead.)

3:15 p.m. (or so) to 4:45 p.m. (or so): Work out. Exercise. Get myself back into shape.

5 p.m. (or so) to 7 p.m. (or so): Hubster time. Hub gets home from work about then, so I make dinner and we eat dinner and talk and snuggle and just sort of unwind. (Not that I have that much unwinding to do ... but he does!)

7:30 p.m. (or so) to 9 p.m. (or so): Practice piano.

9 p.m. (or so) to 10:30 p.m. (or so): Combination Hubster/reading time.

So, as for my self-styled "writing career," I'm working about six hours a day. I was in Cubicle Land for eight hours a day, but if you consider the coffee breaks, chat breaks, blog breaks, lunch breaks, etc., that I took, I'm probably working just as much now as I was then. Only I'm working a lot harder now. And I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Comments

Popular Posts