Tagged Again!

Lora has tagged me for the latest book meme that's been floating around the blogosphere. So here goes ...

Total books owned, ever: Thousands. I guess. It's gotta be well into the thousands. I have a real addiction to book-buying. I actually stay away from bookstores unless the bills are all paid and I actually have $100 or so that I'm willing to part with. Combined, the Hubster and I probably have 1,000 or more books crammed into our little house.

Last book(s) I bought: Let's see, I guess it was Why I Wake Early, a book of poems by Mary Oliver. I bought it with a gift certificate that my former co-workers kindly gave me as a going-away present.

Last book I read: The last book I completed was That Hideous Strength the final book of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. It took a very long time to read, and I found the first half to be very slow, so slow that I considered putting it down. I did finish it, though, and it got a lot better in the second half. I wonder if I'd find it more interesting if I'd had more time to read it ... five or ten minutes a night for a month (plus a two-week sabbatical from reading) do not make for idea novel-reading conditions.

I'm currently reading Conversations with Walker Percy and am enjoying it immensely.

Five books that mean a lot to me: Lots of books mean a lot to me. I hardly know where to start. Note: I started out trying to explain why each book is important to me, but the explanations started turning into books themselves ... so I'm giving you the abridged version. And just writing the first mean-a-lot-to-me books that come to mind.

1. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig: I haven't read this one in several years, but it is one book that really made me think. I love books that make me think. It stretched my mind all different ways.

2. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy--It's known as the greatest novel ever written, but I don't know many people who have actually read it. So I feel like War and Peace is my little secret. Shh ... don't tell anyone ... it really is the greatest novel ever written. I read it every few years and am always sad when it finally comes to an end.

3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy--This is another one (three) that I read every few years. The whole story renews me somehow.

4. Arty the Smarty--It's a children's book about a fish named Arty. Whenever his school of fish swims one way, Arty swims the other. It gets him in big trouble, but I didn't care. Arty was my first-ever hero. And probably my first-ever favorite book.

5. "Self-Reliance"--This isn't a book. It's an essay. But it was in a book, so does that count? I first read it in the tenth grade (it was in our American Lit textbook), and it changed my life.

OK, now I need to tag five people. Hmm. I have a bad habit of tagging people who have already been tagged. So ... I'll take a shot in the dark here: sparrow, blogsitter Thirsty (once his new blog is up and running), Rev. Mommy , violet, and Mrs. Pure Luck. If you don't want to do this, please let me know and I'll tag someone else!

Comments

Popular Posts