Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Café Teria

Western North Carolina is chock-full of camps, retreats, and group-vacation facilities. Which means we have lots of mess halls and cafeterias in our region. My new job is a part-timer at one of these many cafeterias.

But it doesn't sound cool to say, "I work at a cafeteria." So we're going to call it Café Teria. Now doesn't that sound better?

I am the third-oldest employee at Café Teria. The oldest is Alice, who works at the café in the mornings and works elsewhere at night. And then she has a different job on weekends. Next is Francis, the manager. Then me.

After me, everyone is young. Baby-young. Not-yet-out-of-high-school young. For the first time in many, many years, I participated in a conversation about the unfairness of curfews.

My contribution to the discussion? "When you're my age, you don't have a curfew anymore, but it doesn't matter, since you can't stay up past 10:00 anyway."

Heh! heh! I am such a card!

I actually think this is going to be a good experience. My co-workers are the same age as most of the students I will be teaching in the fall. I haven't been around teenagers much since ... well, since I was a teenager.

Did you know that teenagers are still listening to "Play That Funky Music, White Boy"? After all these years? When I was a little kid, the older kids listened to it on the bus. When I was a teenager, my classmates listened to it at lunch. Now that I'm in my 30s, my high-school summer-job co-workers are listening to it, movin' in time to the beat baby while we mop the floors and wipe the tables oh yeah.

Does that make it a Café Teria classic?

**************************************************
Play that funky music white boy
Play that funky music riiight
Play that funky music white boy
Lay down that boogie and
play that funky music till you die!

**************************************************

Work's over for the day. I think I'll go play some Bach now. That was one white (-wigged) boy who knew how to play some music.


J.S. Bach: He played it riiight.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
    drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
    the information you have posted here.
    I also have a web site & blog about job center so I know I'm talking
    about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
    great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
    If you have a moment, please visit my site job center
    Best success!

    ReplyDelete