Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Wandering Aimlessly

Now that there are only two days left of this lovely job, things have become unbelievably busy. Between cleaning out my files (erasing the evidence!), tying up loose ends in all of my projects from the last six months, and packing up my stuff, I barely know which way is up. Sadly, I haven't had much leisure to surf my favorite blogs, so I'm trying to do a bit of that now.

Diane of A Circle of Quiet is back from her stomach-virus hiatus. Welcome back, Diane! You have been missed. For those who haven't read her blog, I recommend it highly. She has a sensitive, thoughtful, and poetic writing style that I love. Plus, she posts poems and snippets from children's books. :)

Catez at Allthings2all is collecting posts written on the genocide issue in Darfur. I knew that horrible things were going on over there, but her posts (and she ones she's linked) really opened my eyes to it. If you or anyone you know has posted on the situation in Darfur, Catez is welcoming submissions for The Darfur Collection. See her post for information on submission and format guidelines.

Her previous post, Babes in Arms: The Children of Darfur is heartbreaking but a must-read.

Brandywine Books writes Learning to Love Rejection, about how aspiring writers need to become thick-skinned if they're going to be writers. I think technical writing has helped me to become thick-skinned. When you never get credit for your work, and your writing is changed and twisted and turned upside-down by the tech people, you learn not to attach yourself to it too much. And my editor for 50 Hikes in Louisiana only marked typos, so I didn't experience seeing my beloved manuscript all marked up and in need of a rewrite. I'm sure that day will come, however ...

Lutheran blogger Bunnie Diehl posts a somewhat interesting quiz on morality. I scored in the lower right-hand corner (not sure what that means, exactly), and compared to the average test taker, scored as follows:

Moralizing Quotient: 0.33 (less permissive than average)
Interference Factor: 0.00 (less likely to recommend societal interference than average)
Universalizing Factor: 0.67 (more likely than average to see moral wrongdoing in universal (i.e., not cultural) terms)

Rebecca Writes has a fun post on Words We Love and invites submissions. (I submitted several words, including "gnu.")

Songbird left her husband and my Y2K hiking friend, Pure Luck, at the halfway point of the Appalachian Trail yesterday and writes a very sweet post about it.

Sparrow muses on Christianity and wealth, and Kim wonders if she (Kim) is too serious (I really don't think she is).

There are so many good things to read out there today. I still haven't hit all the ones in my blogroll yet ... and won't until this afternoon. Back to work for now.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the info on your site about technical writing - nice work. I've just started my own technical writing secrets blog and would really appreciate you stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found a lot of useful info on your site about technical writing - thank you. Haven't finished reading it yet but have bookmarked it so I don't lose it. I've just started a technical writing blog myself if you'd like to stop by

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is great! It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about Technical Writing these days! I have a secret Technical Writing Exposed if you want to come check it out

    ReplyDelete