Shakespeare Meme!

I found this at Girl Detective, via Mental Multivitamin, both of which reference Kiernan Ryan's Guardian article on Shakespeare.

1. Name the first five lines of Shakespeare that come into your head. (Don’t cheat–write the first five that you think of, then check for accuracy later.)

Get ready for a veritable carnival of misquotations ...

"If music be the food of love, play on!" -- from Twelfth Night

"O brave new world, that has such people in't!" --from The Tempest

"Thou’lt come no more,
Never, never, never, never, never!
Pray undo this button. Thank you, sir.
Do you see this? Look on her, look, her lips,
Look there, look there! She dies."
-- From King Lear

'Tis very midsummer madness! --from Twelfth Night

"My large kingdom for a little grave,
A little, little grave--an obscure grave. --from Richard II

"This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle ..." --from Richard II

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio." --from Hamlet

Oops. That's seven, isn't it.

2. The last Shakespeare play you went to see on stage.

A Midsummer Night's Dream

3. The last Shakespeare film homage or adaptation you watched at home or at the movies.

Shakespeare in Love

4. What Shakespeare homage/adaptation/plays are on your to be read/to be seen list?

Some of my favorites that I've read but haven't seen are Othello, The Tempest, and King Lear. I saw Richard II performed once and was disappointed (it's one of my favorites to read), so I wouldn't mind seeing a different performance of that one.

5. Name a favorite Shakespeare-inspired work.

There are so many to choose from, and I'm drawing a complete blank. Maybe West Side Story? Maybe not. I have no clue. Maybe Mendelssohn's Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream? I just realized that I've never seen any of the operas that are based on Shakespeare plays. I'll have to think about this one. There's always the castaways' version of Hamlet in the Gilligan's Island episode ... just kidding, of course. :)

6. Why do you think Shakespeare's plays are still popular?

Because they are wonderful. Why else? (That said, I must agree with Mental Multivitamin, who says, "I'm not so sure the plays are, as you say, "popular" -- they are essential.")

Shakespeare just enlarges my whole understanding of things. More than any other literary figure, he makes me realize that people never change, have never changed, will never change. I don't mean that in a good way or a bad way. Just a way. And that understanding gives me perspective on things. How that for an amorphous answer? :)

Comments

Popular Posts