That Book Meme

Update: I had to pass the stick to someone else 'cause Sparrow's already done this. Cousin Stacey, you're the lucky passee!

***********************************
Finally, someone passed me the stick! Many thanks to Marla for doing so!

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

Hm, does this mean, "what book would I want burned" or "what book would I want to be if I were to be a martyr to the destruction of literature"?

Marla tells us, "For those who haven't read the Bradbury novel or seen the movie (not to be confused with Fahrenheit 911), books were banned (and burned), so a community of people committed entire books to memory."

So, if I were to be committed to memory, I'd want to be something short. Maybe The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher by Lewis Thomas. It's short book that makes me think, and nurtures my sense of wonder. Or I would be The Lord of the Rings (can I be three books?) because it restoreth my soul.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Oh, my. Where should I begin? My two main crushes have been:

1) Aragorn of The Lord of the Rings (the fictional character ... not Viggo Mortensen). I remember not liking Arwen because Aragorn loved her and not me.

2) Prince Andrei Bolkonsky in War and Peace. My friends from college probably still remember me talking rapturously about my Prince Andrei. (Yes, I called him "my prince.") My friends were so kind ... no one made fun of me (to my face) for being madly in love with him.

Hmm ... my two main crushes have been on a king and a prince. And both books were written by men. Interesting.

The last book you bought is:

I actually bought two books at once on my last visit to Osondu, the local bookstore in Waynesville (yes, we actually have a small local bookstore!). I bought The Great Pianists by Arnold Schonberg, and Miles Gone By, which is William F. Buckley, Jr.'s autobiography. I'm about halfway through the pianist book and haven't started the autobiography book yet.

The last book you read:

The last book I finished was Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder. It was recommended to me by our youth pastor's wife, who shares my love of books and things philosophical.

What are you currently reading?

About five books, actually, but the main two are:

1) During the day, when I have a few minutes here and there, I'm reading The Great Pianists.

2) At night, I'm working my way through C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, and am about halfway through the first book, Out of the Silent Planet.


Five books you would take to a deserted island:

No music books ... chances are, there wouldn't be a piano hiding among the bushes. And I am stuck on this deserted island for the rest of eternity, or it this just an introvert's dream vacation for a few weeks?

Assuming that I'm stuck there for the rest of my life, I would take ...

- The Bible
- One of those bloated-looking compendiums of everything Shakespeare ever wrote
- America, One Step at a Time because The Hubster wrote it and I would miss him (this is assuming that the Hubster wouldn't be with me).
- The Norton Anthology of Poetry, since I take it everywhere with me anyway
- Some sort of book on survival. I have very little common sense, but can learn to do anything if there are directions to be read.

Can I bring a dictionary, too? Not that it would do me much good. But the dictionary is kind of like the Norton Anthology of Poetry ... I take it with me on all long trips. And on second thought, I think I would also take my big blue book of Bach chorales.

Oops, that's seven books. Good thing this whole situation is hypothetical only.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why:

Because I'm interested in what literary guys other women like, I'm passing this stick to girls only. :-)

Diane because she seems to have excellent taste in literature.

Pei Yun because I would love to know what she reads when she's not working or practicing the double bass.

Sparrow because she's an insatiable reader like me.

Cousin Stacey because that girl needs to update her blog!!

Comments

Popular Posts