Friday, April 29, 2005

A Summer of ..., and a Recording Session

Deborah has asked if I want to work on a "special topic" this summer in piano. Basically, I can focus on any genre, composer, time period, or whatever, that I want for the six or eight lessons I'll have this summer (if Thumb allows it).

There are so many things I'd love to work on. I could have a Sebastian Summer and work on nothing but Bach, maybe a Prelude and Fugue since I have yet to ever play one of those.

Or I could have a Schumann Summer. I have never seriously played anything by Schumann, and I love him. Whenever I hear Schumann, I think weird thoughts like, "Yeah, man. Play it, brother." I like Schumann.

I could have a Chopin Summer and get all of his Opus 9 nocturnes in my repertoire. I can play No. 1, would need to relearn No. 2 (which I learned years ago), and would have to learn No. 3. Only thing is, I'm not all that crazy about No. 3. But it's something to think about.

I could have a Sonata Summer and start working on a Beethoven Sonata. I've only played one in my life (Op. 10, No. 1 in C minor) and would love to play another one. I don't know if I'm good enough to play the famous "Pathetique" ... but boy, I'd love to play it someday.

I had theory/composition today, and Vance and I decided that we're only going to meet a couple of times this summer. Meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to reviewing, absorbing, and using all of the concepts I've learned in theory/comp this year.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a CD of some songs I wrote 100 years ago. They're not all that wonderful, but they're mine, and I've never recorded them, beyond taping them on a boombox set up next to George. So hopefully, by Monday, I'll have a nice little CD of pretty piano music. Almost all of the songs have words, but no one is singing on the CD, so listeners will just have to use their imaginations. If the recordings come out pretty good, I'll post a song or two on the blog.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I surf the web looking for blogs like this one.
    Your site was on point and will be back again! Awesome
    blog.
    I will give you access to jump to my de delaware house cleaning blog.

    ReplyDelete