Mid-Practice Post

The Hubster interrupted my practice session to vacuum the Inner Sanctum, so I'm taking this opportunity to blog, blog, blog.

I was playing a little song I'd written when I was fourteen. I'd written a novel, a very bad novel (but impressive enough for an eighth-grader, I supposed), and I had dreams of it being made into a movie. Naturally, the movie would star the five guys who were in Duran Duran. Because the characters were a lot like the Duran Duran guys.

See, I told you it was a bad novel! :)

Anyway, I wanted to write all the music for the movie, so I started working on it. I wrote this piano piece called "Forever One: The Love Theme" (because the novel, naturally, was titled "Forever One.") My friend Jennifer had written the lyrics, and I wrote the music. The music was dark and sad and minor--typical of an overly emotional junior-high student, I would guess.

Anyway, every now and then, I'll just sit at George and play old stuff I made up when I was a teenager. It's fun. Sometimes I smile condescendingly at how earnest I was with my little piano pieces (a movie theme, indeed!), and other times I think to myself, "You know what, Self? That's pretty good for a kid who didn't know the first thing about what chords she was actually playing."

As I played "Forever One: The Love Theme" tonight, I thought to myself, "Self, this little tune isn't half-bad. It's dark, dreary, and depressing, yes, but it's not bad. Maybe it's about time I quit playing it the same way it was written back in 1985 (with bare Alberti-bass style chords in the left hand), and make something of it.

So I started playing a fuller left hand, and underscoring the singing melody of the right hand with a second note here and there. If you are familiar with Liszt's transcription of Schubert's "Standchen: Serenade," just think of how it begins, and you'll have an idea of how the left hand sounded. Just simple, back and forth inversions of chords.

It sounded nice. It'll go on my list of Compositions I'm Working On. I have quite a few of them these days. I'm trying to follow the advice of both Forrest and my theory teacher, Vance, and divide my theory/comp time between working on class exercises and working on my own compositions.

I love this. This is so much fun. Life is good.

P.S. About that novel ... yes, I did submit it for publication. I entered the Avon/Flare Young Novelists' Contest or something like that. Thankfully, I was awarded a rejection letter for my efforts!

Comments

Popular Posts