Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Plans, Plans, and More Plans

"Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing."
--Thomas Edison

"It will not do to leave a live dragon out of your plans if you live near one."
from The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain
For promis'd joy."
--Robert Burns


That said, I'm making plans. Even though it is not particularly my nature to plan things.

Here are the plans.

Today: Go to my piano lesson make-up after work.

Today through May 12: Keep working at my current job (even though "seeming to do is not doing"). Enjoy the fruits of my labor (i.e., a salary and benefits) while I can. Continue with piano and composition. Make contacts, send out resumes, and try to get some freelance-writing work lined up for the summer.

May 13-May 15: Ride up to Trail Days. I don't get a big thrill out of Trail Days anymore, but a friend of ours just opened a hiker hostel up there and is saving a room for us. Plus, it'll be an opportunity for The Hubster to sell some of his books. And it will be nice to see our hiker friends who are there.

May 16-May 30 or so: Walk home via the Appalachian Trail (188 miles). At least one of those weeks should count as PTO from my current job.

June, July, & August: Play piano. Do freelance-writing jobs. Work on my hiking book. Work for Thirsty Turtle Press. Volunteer to do nice things for people. Pursue teaching job. Go to weddings as guest, pianist, and/or matron of honor. Work on novel. Show the Hubster what it's like to have a wife who actually likes to cook and clean when she has time.

August: HOPEFULLY start teaching. If I haven't found a teaching job, then try and figure something else out. Keep a-playin' the piano. Start planning Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike.

August through May/June 2006: If teaching, teach. If I like teaching, see about getting certified. If I hate teaching, quit at the end of the year. If not teaching, continue freelancing and maybe wait tables or clean houses or something not too brain-taxing or computery or desk-joblike. Stay away from cubicles. Keep a-playin' the piano and a-workin' on the novel. Maybe sell house, depending on the circumstances.

Summer 2006: Hike as much of the Pacific Crest Trail as I can with The Hubster. (If teaching, then hike for a month or so; if not teaching, then hike the whole darn thing, if we can afford it.)

Fall 2006: If I liked teaching and wasn't so awful at it that I got fired, then go back to teaching. If The Hubster has to get a job elsewhere, and I liked teaching, then find a teaching job wherever we end up. Or set up a tent on some land we own in Ohio and build a little house while figuring out what to do next.

So, as you can see, nothing is set in stone. All I know is that I'm going hiking for two weeks after I leave this job. Hiking has a way of getting my priorities in order, so these plans may change once I get back from the hike. Because my head is too muddled and my mind too tired for my priorities to be in any kind of decent order whatsoever.

Today I am in a slump. After all the excitement and joy of yesterday, I crashed. It's my good ole bipolar alter-ego coming out, I guess.

Time for lunch.

1 comment: