Friday, March 11, 2005

More Non-Classical Music

Can you believe it? No Bach? No Mozart? Once you're finished dying of shock, keep reading.

After reading "Why You Need To Know The Scots-Irish," to which the Blowhards recently linked, I ran a search on a local folk singer and friend of ours, Flora MacDonald Gammon. She is of Scottish descent and is very active in preserving Scottish heritage through song, storytelling, participation in regional festivals, and who knows what else.

My search led me to Voices of the Highlands, with mp3s of Flora singing, a capella, a couple of hymns: Child in a Manger and Psalm 121. The site include mp3s of other local folk singers, as well. But Flora is the best--very meditative. She also gives helpful background information on the songs she sings.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to post you a comment earlier but it seemed the comment system was not working. Anyway, now it is and I want to tell you about my favourite Schubert song recording. I have Fischer-Dieskau singing Schubert songs, but to my ear he is harsh and tuneless, often either shouting or whispering. I was delighted to find a recording of Die Schöne Müllerin that I liked very much, so much so that I sent a copy to a friend. I direct you to this link where you will find details. It's inexpensive and even shipped internationally post free.

    I find this song-cycle, and particularly number 6, "Die Neugirige", the most moving of Schubert songs.

    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If the link doesn't work email me m_kirke@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete