Wednesday, February 2, 2005

Morning Pages, and a Boring Quiz

I didn't get up in time to write morning pages today. Went to bed with a splitting headache and woke up with same, despite the Vitamin I treatment. I'm not sure why I had such a bad headache, but I'll tell you one thing: those headstands I did before bed didn't help one bit.

I'm not in much of a mood to blog today. So, let's have some fun instead. I don't remember where I found this quiz, if it was on a blog or in an e-mail I got months ago.

HIGH SCHOOL QUIZ

When did you graduate from high school? 1988

What were your favorite clothes? Remember the “Units” fad? They were modular, one-size-fits-all knit pieces with HUGE shoulder pads. Well, I liked my “Units” clothes. They were "slenderizing." And I also loved my ROTC skirt. It was the most “slenderizing” thing I owned. And those stripey shoulder-padded mock-turtleneck tops from The Limited.

What was up with your hair? It was really short in my senior picture. I guess I was a rebel ‘cause the rest of the girls had the big-hair-with-poofy-bangs thing going.

Who were your best friends? We had a whole big group of us. But my best, best, best friends were probably Lulu Kitty (yes, my cat) and Duchess (the dog). (I just re-read that answer … I really wasn’t all that pathetic. I just spent more time with the animals than with anyone else ...)

Where did you work? At my dad’s office every summer. Nowhere during the school year.

What did you do after school? In the fall, volleyball practice/games. Otherwise, I’d go to my grandmother’s and watch “Sesame Street” and that new talk show “Oprah” with her while waiting for my athletic sister to finish whatever athletic practice she had so we could go home.

Did you take the bus? Not after 10th grade. I drove myself and my sister to school and made her listen to shared many fond hours listening to "Simon and Garfunkel: The Concert in Central Park" over and over and over and over and over again.

Who did you have a crush on? My brother’s adorable puppy-dog-eyed friend Christopher. (sigh …)

Did you fight with your parents? Not very much. I was very secretive about things they would otherwise disapprove of, and thereby avoided major fights.

Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on? Sting

Did you smoke cigarettes? No. I wanted to, and actually decided to start smoking, thereby increasing my giving me some semblance of a "coolness factor." But then my grandmother was diagnosed cigarette-induced cancer the week after I decided to start, I figured God was trying to tell me something. So I "quit."

Did you lug all your books around in your backpack because you were too nervous to find your locker? Yes. No. I lugged all my books around (in addition to about 10 extra notebooks, which held drafts of my "novels" and collections of my "poetry"). But I wasn’t too nervous to find my locker. I was just lazy.

Did you have a "clique"? I suppose. I don't know if it was really a "clique," per se. But we did have our little group of ex-Duranies.

Admit it, were you popular? No, not at all. Not one teeny-tiny little bit.

Who did you want to be just like? William Blake.

What did you want to be when you grew up? An English major. If not that, then I wanted to be a Great Writer, Great Poet, Great Essayist, Great Composer, and/or Great Musician. And I dreamed of walking across the U.S.

Where did you think you’d be at the age you are now? I really didn't think I would live this long. My lifelong dream was to be an English major. Oh, I suppose I figured that someday I'd either be (1) a Great Writer living in New York or some other exciting place; (2) a composer/arranger for Disney, or (3) comfortably ensconced in the ivory tower. Yep, I kind of imagined I might be a wizened old English professor with lots of down-time to write Great Novels and do other Great Things.

I'm pretty happy at the moment, except for the fact that I don't have enough down time to do all those Great Things. :-)

2 comments:

  1. hope your headache is all gone ... i hate those things, thankfully i hardly ever get them ... i came via our buddy jeanette's site ... i sometimes "dare" click on her eclectic group of people (trashman's site really did scare me!) ... i love your blog ... even read a few past posts ... :o)

    just wanted to say Lord bless your day ... Saija

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL--yeah, you never quite know what you're going to get when you click on something on Jeanette's blog. :-) (But there's nary a boring person there, is there ...) Glad you like this one. Hope you come back to visit!

    ReplyDelete